One part of our gardening program is teaching children how to cook ! We want our students to be able to make things with the food they grow. In the indoor gardening kits and the physical garden alike we’ll be growing food that goes great on…
PIZZA ! Basil, bell peppers, tomatoes, rosemary and more will be grown to make a delicious pizza.
If you want to try it at home with your kiddos, here’s the recipe on how to make the dough from scratch.
Making Pizza Dough
This recipe makes about 12 servings and only takes 30 minutes total (5 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to cook). Each serving is roughly 67kcal
- glass batter bowl
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- a rolling pin
- pizza stone
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease your pizza pan and set it aside.
- Put warm water into your large glass batter bowl.
- Add sugar and yeast and stir to combine.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy.
- Add the olive oil and gently stir to combine.
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt and mix with a spatula until a ball begins to form (dough will still be slightly sticky). Add more flour as needed to form a dough ball.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding up to 0.5 cup extra flour if needed.
- Roll dough into your desired shape and gently transfer to your prepared pan.
- To ensure the dough doesn’t form air pockets, use a fork to prick to the dough all around (gently so you do not poke holes all the way through the crust).
- Bake on the lower rack of your preheated oven for 5 minutes and remove from your oven. (this is just to very slightly pre-bake the dough). If you notice air bubbles forming, poke them with a fork to let the air out.
- Add pizza sauce and toppings of choice !
- Bake on the lower rack of your oven for around 15-20 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
- Let cool, cut and serve.
Sign up for our blog to catch instructions for the sauce next !